As one of Europe's leading textile recycling companies, TEXAID is clearly committed to its great responsibility towards the environment, people and society. Consequently, continually improving climate and environmental protection is an integral part of the company's strategy. With this in mind, TEXAID has for years been optimizing its work processes and quality standards, and offers sustainable solutions for used textiles.
The production of clothes and shoes causes great environmental damage
The production of clothes and shoes is very harmful to the environment. The clothing industry requires ever-increasing amounts of power, water and mineral oil in order to make textile fibers. Up to 2,700 liters of water are needed to produce just one T-shirt (source: UNESCO-IHE (2005): The Water Footprint Of Cotton Consumption). Pesticides and fertilizers upset the balance of nature. During the growth phase, cotton plantations are treated with pesticides up to 25 times. The CO2 emitted in the textile production and finishing process also enters the negative ecological balance.
TEXAID sets new ecological standards for textile recycling
Re-using or recycling discarded textiles greatly helps the environment. Scientists at the Swiss company Carbotech AG also agree with this. In a study commissioned by TEXAID, they proved that the environmental damage resulting from textile recycling is to all intents and purposes negligible in comparison with new production.
Yet how can we optimize this good environmental balance even further? As part of a comprehensive climate strategy, TEXAID Switzerland commissioned Swiss Climate AG, to compile a CO2 balance (carbon footprint). The 2013 accounting year was taken as the base year. It covered all employees and their business activities in Switzerland that were necessary for professional textile recycling.
TEXAID Textilverwertungs-AG in Switzerland is the first and to date only textile recycling company in Europe to have been awarded the Swiss Climate «CO2 Neutral» quality seal. The award is the highest quality standard for companies that are sustainably committed to climate protection. This shows that TEXAID sets new ecological standards in textile recycling and is an industry pioneer in environmental and climate protection matters. The certification was verified by the Société Générale de Surveillance SGS, a renowned international auditing body with substantial expertise and quality in the environmental and climate field.
With this certification, TEXAID undertakes to implement clearly defined measures and to make further investments in internal and/or external projects that will help reduce CO2 emissions. Since 2013, TEXAID has succeeded in reducing its CO2 emissions by 22 per cent per tonne of used clothes collected. TEXAID also supports the Çanakkale project in Turkey. This project promotes the generation of renewable energy by wind turbines in western Turkey. This reduces both the use of fossil fuels and CO2 emissions.
For TEXAID, climate and environmental protection is an important element of our corporate goals.
CERTIFICATES, AWARDS, MEMBERSHIPS
- TEXAID is a member of the bvse (German Association for Secondary Raw Materials and Waste Disposal) and is the only company in the industry to have an ISO-certified quality management system (ISO standard 9001:2008).
- The environmental management of TEXAID Textilverwertungs-AG in Switzerland is certified in accordance with ISO 14001:2015. With this, TEXAID is spelling out its claim to constantly optimize the company’s environmental performance and all associated processes with the involvement of the interested Stakeholders.
- TEXAID Textilverwertungs-AG in Switzerland bears the «CO2-Neutral» quality seal from Swiss Climate AG. The award is the highest quality standard for companies that are sustainably committed to climate protection.
- In Switzerland, TEXAID is a founder member of the Swiss Recycling professional association.
- TEXAID Textilverwertungs-AG in Switzerland can present a very good ecological balance sheet issued by the Carbotech AG company that specializes in environmental matters.
- In Germany, TEXAID is certified as a specialist disposal company (collecting and recycling) and bears the bvse «textile collection» quality seal.
- In Germany, TEXAID has joined the Partnership for Sustainable Textiles. The common goal of this is to improve working and living conditions in the global textile industry.
- TEXAID is a member of the Future of Textiles Association (Gemeinschaft für textile Zukunft - GftZ). The aim of the GftZ is to promote uniform standards in collecting, sorting and recycling used textiles so that they can be utilized on a more sustainable basis.
- TEXAID is a member of the worldwide recycling association BIR - Bureau of International Recycling.
- In Germany, TEXAID is a member of the advisory body "Beirat der Wirtschaft e. V." (BdW). The mission statement of the association is a market economy in which society, politics and economics are oriented towards the principles of sustainability.
- TEXAID is a member of the Swedish research program Mistra Future Fashion.
- TEXAID Austria GmbH in Austria has been chosen as a "Klimabündnis Company" by Klimabündnis Österreich GmbH.
- TEXAID is a member of the Foreign Trade Association (FTA) and participates in its Business Social Compliance Initiative (BSCI) and Business Environmental Performance Initiative (BEPI)
- TEXAID is a ‘key partner’ of the WALDB project. The participating textile companies and retailers feed data into the World Apparel & Footwear LCA Database, which serves as a comprehensive database for all of the companies involved.
- TEXAID is a supporting member of ECAP (European Clothing Action Plan). The project promotes the concept of sustainability in the textile industry.