As one of Europe's leading textile recycling companies, TEXAID is strongly committed to meeting its great responsibility towards the environment, people and society. Consequently, continually improving climate and environmental protection is an integral part of the company's strategy. With this in mind, TEXAID has been optimising its work processes and quality standards for years and is proud to offer sustainable solutions for used textiles.
The production of clothes and shoes causes serious damage to the environment and the climate
The production of clothes and shoes is very harmful to the environment. The clothing industry requires ever-increasing amounts of power, water and oil in order to make textile fibres. Around 2,700 litres of water are needed to produce just one T-shirt (source: UNESCO-IHE (2005): The Water Footprint of Cotton Consumption). Pesticides and fertilizers upset the balance of nature. Cotton plantations are treated with pesticides up to 25 times during the growth phase. The CO2 emitted during the textile production and finishing process adds to the negative ecological balance.
TEXAID sets new ecological standards for textile recycling
Re-using or recycling discarded textiles is of great environmental benefit. Scientists at the Swiss company Carbotech AG agree with this statement. In a study commissioned by TEXAID, they proved that the environmental damage resulting from textile recycling is to all intents and purposes negligible in comparison with that caused by producing new textiles.
So how can we optimise this good ecological balance even further? As part of a comprehensive climate strategy, TEXAID Switzerland tasked Swiss Climate AG with establishing its CO2 balance (carbon footprint), taking the 2013 accounting year as the base year. Measurements covered all employees and all business activities in Switzerland that were required in the course of professional textile recycling.
TEXAID Textilverwertungs-AG in Switzerland is the first - and to date only - textile recycling company in Europe to have been awarded the Swiss Climate 'CO2 Neutral' quality seal. This is the highest quality standard for companies that are committed to climate protection in the long term. It is proof that TEXAID sets new ecological standards in textile recycling and acts as an industry pioneer for environmental and climate protection. The certification was verified by the Société Générale de Surveillance SGS, a reputed international auditing body recognised as the global benchmark for quality and integrity in the environmental and climate field.
As part of its certification, TEXAID undertakes to implement clearly defined measures and make further investments in internal and external projects that will help reduce CO2 emissions. Since 2013, TEXAID has succeeded in reducing its CO2 emissions by 35 per cent per tonne of used clothes collected. TEXAID also supports the Çanakkale project in Turkey, which promotes the generation of renewable energy by wind turbines in western Turkey. This reduces both the use of fossil fuels and CO2 emissions.
Climate and environmental protection are among TEXAID's most important corporate goals.
CERTIFICATES, AWARDS, MEMBERSHIPS
- TEXAID is a member of the bvse (German Federal Association for Secondary Raw Materials and Waste Disposal) and is the only company in the industry to have an ISO-certified quality management system (ISO standard 9001:2008).
- The environmental management system implemented by TEXAID Textilverwertungs-AG in Switzerland is certified in accordance with ISO 14001:2015. This underlines TEXAID's efforts to constantly optimise the company’s environmental performance and all the associated processes with the involvement of the relevant stakeholders.
- TEXAID Textilverwertungs-AG in Switzerland bears the Swiss Climate AG 'CO2-Neutral' quality seal. This is the highest quality standard for companies that are committed to climate protection in the long term.
- In Switzerland, TEXAID is a founder member of the Swiss Recycling professional association.
- TEXAID Textilverwertungs-AG in Switzerland has a very good ecological balance sheet as issued by Carbotech AG, a company which specialises in environmental matters.
- In Germany, TEXAID is certified as a specialist disposal company (collection, transport, storage, recycling, disposal and trading).
- TEXAID has joined the Partnership for Sustainable Textiles. Their shared goal is to improve working and living conditions in the textile industry worldwide.
- TEXAID is a member of the Future of Textiles Association (Gemeinschaft für textile Zukunft - GftZ). The aim of the GftZ is to promote uniform standards in the collection, sorting and recycling of used textiles to promote greater sustsainability.
- TEXAID is a member of the worldwide recycling association BIR - Bureau of International Recycling.
- TEXAID is a member of the Swedish research programme Mistra Future Fashion.
- TEXAID Austria GmbH in Austria has been recognised as a 'Klimabündnis Company' by Klimabündnis Österreich GmbH.
- TEXAID is a member of amfori and its Business Social Compliance Initiative (BSCI) and Business Environmental Performance Initiative (BEPI).
- TEXAID is a ‘key partner’ of the WALDB project. Participating textile companies and retailers feed data into the World Apparel & Footwear LCA Database, which serves as a comprehensive database for all of the companies involved.
- TEXAID is a supporting member of the ECAP (European Clothing Action Plan), which promotes the concept of sustainability in the textile industry.